Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Samoa's coffee prospects..


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 633
Date:
Samoa's coffee prospects..
 
 


interesting stuff..

Making coffee plans in Samoa

20/06/2012 , 4:12 PM by Kelly Fuller

If you enjoyed a lovely cup of coffee today, you'll know the value of that wonderful bean crop.

Those little beans are some of the most important crops in the world and after a recent trip to Samoa, Inverell based Nationals Senator John Williams was struck by the high level of unemployment and got to thinking about how well the coffee bean crop would go in the good basalt soils.

It’s certainly been an interesting project to explore and it now off the ground with a grant from the United Nations and a 50 hectare trial plot

I caught up with Senator Williams today and started by asking him why he first went to Samoa

audio here

 

http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2012/06/making-coffee-plans-in-samoa.html



__________________

If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's farking beef!



Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2781
Date:
 
 

Coffee plantations is one of the hardest plantations to find workers for.  Top coffee growing regions such as South American and African Countries generally have plenty of workers during harvest as they [workers] don't have much choice.  If they workers are not registered under 'fair trading' they get paid as little as 30 cents per pound they pick.  And if they are registered - it's between $1 - $3 per pound. 

It is a challenge for Hawaiian Coffee Growers to find workers to pick coffee beans during the harvesting season as it is extremely HARD WORK and they would rather pick oranges in California and the like leaving a lot of the coffee beans to rot due to the lack of hands.



__________________

"If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right" Rev Brown [Coming to America] LOL.



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1425
Date:
 
 

I have this in my cupboard at home. I'm not into coffee, but the other coffee connoisseurs in the house actually think it is pretty good.

 

l_500gram-samoan-coffee.jpg



-- Edited by Commonsense on Wednesday 20th of June 2012 02:44:03 PM

__________________


Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2781
Date:
 
 

Great Stuff!

Samoan Owned, Grown, Manufactured, Packaged and Distributed.  The Process is overseen by the Owners till the near end.

It's a different story altogether from the Primary end of production when all that a Coffee Worker does is grow and harvest the plant.



__________________

"If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right" Rev Brown [Coming to America] LOL.



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 948
Date:
 
 

I love the smell of coffee. When I am in Wal-Mart doing some shopping, I always pass by the aisle were the coffee are at and it smells good.

__________________


Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2781
Date:
 
 

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1926007,00.html



__________________

"If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right" Rev Brown [Coming to America] LOL.



Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2781
Date:
 
 

Talofa wrote:

I love the smell of coffee. When I am in Wal-Mart doing some shopping, I always pass by the aisle were the coffee are at and it smells good.


LOL, Nice!

I'm a Tea Person.  I drink Tea right throughout the day.  Some mornings I might feel like coffee and other times it all depends on what I'm eating for breakfast. Other instances will be once in a blue moon if I'm meeting someone at a cafe.

When out and about - I only order 'small' size and very sweet.

My favourite Coffee is Irish Coffee.  Seeing as I like my coffee super milky and sweet - there is probably more baileys in my coffee cup than anything else, LOL.

 



__________________

"If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right" Rev Brown [Coming to America] LOL.



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 948
Date:
 
 

Hunter wrote:
Talofa wrote:

I love the smell of coffee. When I am in Wal-Mart doing some shopping, I always pass by the aisle were the coffee are at and it smells good.


LOL, Nice!

I'm a Tea Person.  I drink Tea right throughout the day.  Some mornings I might feel like coffee and other times it all depends on what I'm eating for breakfast. Other instances will be once in a blue moon if I'm meeting someone at a cafe.

When out and about - I only order 'small' size and very sweet.

My favourite Coffee is Irish Coffee.  Seeing as I like my coffee super milky and sweet - there is probably more baileys in my coffee cup than anything else, LOL.

 


  I know right? Tea taste so much better than coffe (sweetend cold tea). But when you smell coffee, it smells so good.



__________________


Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2781
Date:
 
 

For the first time ever, I've read the back label of the coffee that I purchase and have done since forever: "Moccona".  It's the only coffee my Mother ever stocked in the house since I've known Her to buy coffee and I've just stuck to it.  Not once while walking through the aisle at the Supermarket do I bother looking at any other coffee brand.  I just zero in on the Moccona and place in the trolley without a second thought.

Anyhow, according to what I have just read on the Moccona label - "It is made in the Netherlands from imported coffee beans and exported to Sara Lee Australia".

Wow - I never knew that.  Furthermore, I don't even know where in the World the coffee beans have been harvested from.

So, where does one purchase Samoan Coffee from in Samoa?  Because the only coffee you will see in my House in Samoa is Moccona, LOL.



__________________

"If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right" Rev Brown [Coming to America] LOL.



Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2781
Date:
 
 

"The coffee market is controlled by the four big coffee roasters: Sara Lee, Nestle, Proctor & Gamble and Kraft. 

http://factsanddetails.com/world.php?itemid=1567&catid=54&subcatid=346



__________________

"If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right" Rev Brown [Coming to America] LOL.



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1942
Date:
 
 

Tea is awesome, I've always favoured the natural green stuff over the dirty, black bean lol.

But in all seriousness, coffee exploration in Samoa is a great prospect and I encourage every consideration. Looking forward to hearing more about it in due course.

biggrin

The coffee consumer is definitely a big one, just look at starbucks lol. 



-- Edited by Fanau Niu Sila on Thursday 21st of June 2012 12:49:07 AM

__________________
Losers make excuses, winners make it happen.


Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2781
Date:
 
 

Coffee is grown in the World's poorest Regions [Brazil, Ethiopia, Guatemala etc] with the majority of Coffee Farmers/Pickers living in extreme poverty.

06gold.600.jpg

 

A Coffee Farmer/Picker is at one end of the process [primary] and Starbucks sitting at the other extreme end [retail] - selling the processed/packaged goods directly to the Consumer at 5 to 10 times the cost that was initially paid to the Farmers/Pickers for the Coffee beans. That's how Starbucks and the big 4 Coffee Profiteers Sara Lee, Nestle, Proctor & Gamble and Kraft rake in the huge profits.

Samoa will sit at the Ethiopian end no doubt.  It will be a waste of a whopping 50 Hectres [124 Acres] of Samoan Land handed over for a Foreign Owned Coffee Plantation in an Industry that exploits its Workers and Growing Regions alike for the sake of meeting Western tastes and fattening the pockets of major Coffee Distributors in the process.



-- Edited by Hunter on Thursday 21st of June 2012 06:24:28 AM

__________________

"If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right" Rev Brown [Coming to America] LOL.



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1942
Date:
 
 

You could say the same about APPLE products produced in China. It makes me cringe because at one end the company is filthy rich, bathing in bricks of gold and silver. And at the other end the employee producing the entire product from scratch is lucky to get one US dollar a day.

CAPITALISM gone mad!

__________________
Losers make excuses, winners make it happen.


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1425
Date:
 
 

terry wrote:

interesting stuff..

Making coffee plans in Samoa

20/06/2012 , 4:12 PM by Kelly Fuller

If you enjoyed a lovely cup of coffee today, you'll know the value of that wonderful bean crop.

Those little beans are some of the most important crops in the world and after a recent trip to Samoa, Inverell based Nationals Senator John Williams was struck by the high level of unemployment and got to thinking about how well the coffee bean crop would go in the good basalt soils.

It’s certainly been an interesting project to explore and it now off the ground with a grant from the United Nations and a 50 hectare trial plot

I caught up with Senator Williams today and started by asking him why he first went to Samoa

audio here

 

http://blogs.abc.net.au/nsw/2012/06/making-coffee-plans-in-samoa.html


 

That guy hit it on the head. Samoa will never be self-sufficient when most of the land is sitting there doing nothing. 

Samoa has all this land there producing nothing. It is such a waste. Samoa will always be dependent on foreign aid until most of that land (which is all mostly customary land) is made productive.

God gave that land to Samoans so that Samoans can sustain itself as a people. Yet, so many people go overseas because there are no opportunities.

the opportunities are right there in Samoa's soil!



-- Edited by Commonsense on Friday 22nd of June 2012 06:49:34 AM

__________________


Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2781
Date:
 
 

Fanau Niu Sila wrote:

You could say the same about APPLE products produced in China. It makes me cringe because at one end the company is filthy rich, bathing in bricks of gold and silver. And at the other end the employee producing the entire product from scratch is lucky to get one US dollar a day.

CAPITALISM gone mad!




The Chinese based factory that makes Apple Products is Foxconn:

Foxconn workers struggle in spotlight

__________________

"If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right" Rev Brown [Coming to America] LOL.



Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 2781
Date:
 
 

Commonsense wrote:

That guy hit it on the head. Samoa will never be self-sufficient when most of the land is sitting there doing nothing. 

Samoa has all this land there producing nothing. It is such a waste. Samoa will always be dependent on foreign aid until most of that land (which is all mostly customary land) is made productive.

God gave that land to Samoans so that Samoans can sustain itself as a people. Yet, so many people go overseas because there are no opportunities.

the opportunities are right there in Samoa's soil!



-- Edited by Commonsense on Friday 22nd of June 2012 06:49:34 AM


It would be really great if that Guy could concentrate on opening up the International Market for Samoan grown produce otherwise cultivating the Land on a mass scale intended for employment and higher standards of living will be of no use if Samoans have no one to sell their produce to.


__________________

"If lovin' the lord is wrong, I don't want to be right" Rev Brown [Coming to America] LOL.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard